Contributors

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Dive

I peer over the edge of the mighty, vast ship
The sea breeze bites back, its droplets hit my lip
The ice is abroad the sweet scenery
But something seems a little bit eerie

I feel no cold, my nimble fingers are warm
They grip the rail tight enough to survive a heavy storm
Like I can't be blown down, but yet I may
I wish to yell out, but there's nothing to say!

Then sparks flare up over a grassy view
My eyes grow wide as the volcano continues to spew
Out with magma, turn to lava, then the very next thing
I spy a towering lizard, the great Tyrant King!

Its roar pierces my ears, I hear a distant scream trill
I eye the beast with bulging eyes and know it's ready to kill
Even at a distance, I'm terrified for my sake
Until the King roars once more, and then I'm awake

The captain's distant yells ring across the ship,
I bolt out of bed and flee the cabin, cold air hits my lip
Over the ship I peer, the water had frozen to ice!
Sickening snaps and cracks scream 'The thing's about to slice!'

The air is brisk and frosty as can be, but I should not care
In a moment I'm down and the cold sea greets me, to which a breeze can not compare
My dream is dead, but this new nightmare is alive
So I sink my way down in a never-ending dive.

4 comments:

  1. This is the best poem I have ever read. I'm guessing this is about one of the passengers on the Titanic?

    The nightmare sequence is gold. I adore it!

    The rhymes are supreme, per usual for you. ;)

    I swear, you could have a great career as a poet some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so much! :D I'm not all that sure how this idea came into my head...wait...it was from a song. XD I played it at region band. It's about a shipwreck. I am now going to explain my randomness. Not even I get my poem. XD

      I imagined a girl on a ship near the Antarctic, which makes it so odd how it wasn't cold in her dream. (And how she didn't get frostbite when it was. XD) She dreams of seeing an volcano erupt (in Antarctica? XD), and then she sees a colossal tyrannosaurus rex...XD It was so weird I had to say it was a dream. XD Then I guess there's sort of an ironic twist, because she wakes up from a dream of danger to real-life danger.

      I have a weird brain. I think that actually helps with writing. XD

      You gave me an idea...The TITANIC! I may need to do a bit of research, but maybe I should try something like that. I tend to avoid historical topics in fear that I may mess something up. ("Sorry, it's great and all, but there were no cell phones in the wild west!" XD)

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't have known it was anything other than the Titanic. I'm a history buff. :P

      As long as you make sure you have the technology and fashion right (Women didn't really wear pants until the 60s people!), you should be a-okay. ;)

      Delete
    3. I like history! I love historical fiction, mystery, and paranormal things the most. Although there's that awkwardly depressing moment when you realize the character you're reading about would be dead by now if she had been real...:(

      RANDOM FACT: The oldest person to ever live was Jeanne Calment. She lived to be one hundred and twenty-two years old! At age thirteen, Vincent Van Gogh visited her father's paint shop. She described him as being shabbily-dressed and rude. (Hey, we creative people aren't always social. I know I like to live in my own little hole. XD) She died on August 4, 1997, and was born on February 21, 1875. (My brother's birthday!...one hundred and twenty years later, that is. XD)

      WHOAH that was long! XD Basically, it IS the technologies and clothing. XD At least I know when we started wearing pants! XD I seem to remember something like that on the Mary-Sue test. Just imagine a colonial girl saying something like, "Father told me 'tis not common to see a girl in trousers, but he allows me to wear his old ones that just so happen to be my size."

      Delete

We love comments! <3