Contributors

Monday, February 27, 2012

Stand Alone -1/?

I’ve always stood alone; it’s been my motto ever since I started life in this accursed world. Don’t ever let anyone get too close, and always make sure you stand for what you think is right. The problem is I don’t know what to think anymore.

I looked on into the forbidding sky, no longer the bright azure color of a healthy planet, but a dull dust. Much like the color of tumbleweed one would’ve found in a Crayola crayons box. I always hated that color.

Suddenly, small, short vibrations emitted from the bone-dry asphalt beneath my Converse-covered feet. I tuned my ears to the wind, listening for the roaring, gasping, and deathly sound of the infectious hoard. Their noise carried subtly in the dusty breeze that was anything but cool. It was a hot breeze, telling tales of the doomed, desperate, and hopeless. I had yet to fall into one of those categories, and with any luck, I would survive for another day.

I put my father’s .45 Caliber in the holster clipped to the slightly-too-big black leather belt slung around my waist. I knew I had a limited amount of ammunition, and would have to get to a police station or gun shop soon to restock. Thankfully the hoard wasn’t extremely fast or efficient. The reason they were so deadly? They’re a horde; victimizing every life form in their path, whether it be reptilian or mammalian, human or animal. Nothing was safe.

Wiping my sweat-ridden hands on the thighs of my ripped jeans, I set out. I didn’t know where I was going or what was lying ahead. I was alone, depending on all the knowledge and wit I had gathered in my short fifteen years. My parents were taken by the hoard, my elder brother missing, and me, out here in the ghost (rather, hoard) town of Denver. This wasn’t how I ever expected the world to end. Decimated by a force known to science fiction and horror as zombies.

~

As usual, comments are greatly appreciated. :)

Edit: I had to fix the word "hoard" to "horde". I hadn't realized I was using the incorrect spelling for the word to mean "large crowd or group".

2 comments:

  1. ZOMBIES! Didn't see that one coming! Anyway, this looks interesting, I can't wait to read more... Maybe she falls in love with a guy who's on the hoard's side. But not a zombie. More like a handsome guy with a spoon on his head. MWAHAHAHHA!!!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hoard are all zombies. That's just my personal name for them. :P

      No Cardies in this story, I'm afraid. Stupid Viacom with their stupid copyright will probably stupidly try to sue me over something so stupid such as using an alien species of "their's", when, in all technicality, Cardassians actually belong to the writers of TNG and DS9. :P

      Delete

We love comments! <3